What is Low Platelet Count?
What does having a low blood platelet count mean? What are the reasons why a person is diagnosed with a low blood platelet level? Here is some basic information on how a person’s blood platelet level is diagnosed and what it can mean:
- When you are told that you have a low blood platelet count or level, it basically means that your blood does not have the normal clotting abilities that blood should have or that your blood has a low level for fighting infection.
- This condition where the blood does not clot normally due to a low platelet count is called thrombocytopenia. This is due to these blood platelets having the medical name of thrombocytes.
- Anything that can cause bleeding should be avoided when a person has a low blood platelet count.
Low Platelet Count Causes
When a person is diagnosed with a low blood count or level, there are a few possible reasons why. Here are some of them:
- A person can have low platelet levels when he or she has bone marrow that does not produce enough of these platelets.
- Low platelet number can also be blamed on a condition where the body uses and destroys platelets even when the marrow produces enough.
- A low platelet number can also be attributed to a spleen problem.
- Illnesses that damage a person’s stem cells can also be blamed for a low platelet count. This includes illnesses like lymphoma, leukemia, and AIDS.
- Certain treatments can also be blamed for a low platelet count. Treatments like chemotherapy and radiation therapy are just a couple of examples.
- Abuse of alcohol can also cause low blood platelet levels.
- Chemical exposure is another probable reason for this problem.
Low Platelet Count Natural Treatment
Here are some tips on how thrombocytopenia can be prevented and treated:
- The most common cure for this problem with a low blood platelet count is to be prescribed medication like prednisone and immunoglobulin. These are often administered intravenously or through injections.
- Blood transfusions can also be used to increase a person’s platelet counts.
- You can avoid a low blood platelet count by avoiding the intake of alcohol.
- Medicines that were the cause of your low blood platelet level should also be avoided if these are not that necessary for you to take. You can ask your doctor to give you alternate medication that won’t lower your blood platelet count.